I am a bit of a hoarder to say the least. So really this idea was in thanks to the fact that I write on stacks of sticky notes, constantly. For fun, mind you.
Also I've been experiencing fatigue from the fact that I had to assign myself responsibility to the work of a comedy show (no name needed) that ultimately frustrated me and my compatriots.
In other words, I wasn't doing enough for me personally. And I don't quite know how long I'll have to stay in this state (of mind and of California) so I figured best get started with this idea of feeling out of place when surrounded by so many other creatives like you.
As is the Yellow Sticky Note in my story.
I first drew faces on Adobe Animate. Using the “smooth” option, I would apply that effect to every other frame. Then I would color the eyes accordingly. (Had the red sticky note blue eyes, I fear I would only confuse the audience and myself moreso.)
From there, the hardest part was the actual live action photography of the Post-Its themselves. The issue was primarily the lighting. If you can’t make the background upon which the faces will be pasted visually clear enough, then surely there’s no point. Took me a couple tries of putting the same 9 stickies on different walls (and at one point a window) of my room. Finally got it right to where it wouldn’t look so odd when editing on Adobe Premiere Pro.
Complicated software, no?
After downloading a royalty-free song from the endless library of Epidemic Music, I had to time each face properly so that there’d be enough tonal congruence for every character to have their —roughly— 52 frames of fame.
And then the matte. Wow, I’m an idiot for assuming how hard it was. The damn background footage I recorded earlier craned upwards but the word I tried doing the effect through kept panning right to left. Couldn’t get why… Until I realised, unconsciously, I had added specific keyframes to the beginning of the footage to make it look progressive.
In the end, I realised that wasn’t necessary. Slowing down the footage and scaling it out was all it took for that impressive bleed through appearance.
An appearance of which, can be visible in the final product here:
So basically, my hit list is this.
Writing the script.
Getting Feedback. Concept Art.
REWRITING the script.
Location Scouting/ Storyboarding / Finding Voice Actors.
Recording Vocals. Filming.
Releasing on the Internet.
FULL DISCLAIMER: I’M NOT SURE IF THIS’LL BE ONE SHORT FILM, A BUNCH OF WEBISODES OR A FEATURE LENGTH BUT AT THIS POINT, I’M JUST LIKE “SCREW IT. LET’S GIVE THIS A GO.”
In any case, who ever’s reading this, I’m glad you’re along for the ride. Let’s see what type of changes occur.